Resources may relate to financial resources, environment, safety needs, professional human skills, materials, information technology, tools, databases and other physical or nonphysical resources needed for realization the program.
The Business Value Oriented Program Management (BVOPGM) office estimate and allocate resources during the entire program realization and this may need involvement in:
- Planning, estimating and requesting financial resources
- Planning, estimating and requesting material physical or nonphysical resources
- Planning and requesting new personnel recruitment
- Planning and requesting training
- Withdrawing resources from a project or entire program
- Allocating resources across projects
Program, projects and product management roles collaborate for proper resources planning and estimating and predict and eliminate waste.
Cross‐functionality of the teams
The BVOP focus on the general cross-functionality of the teams working on a single project. Cross-functional dedicated project teams are a major factor for the successful project realization. Such teams usually include people with different expertise and work together for accomplishing common objectives.
If a project consists of a team with the entire needed skill set the general productivity may be higher than the productivity of teams who often rely on external support.
Team members of the cross-functional teams need to share information, collaborate, work together and support each other.
Program and projects continues assessment
Periodically all projects and the entire program need to be assessed. If the entire program or its projects require significant resources and time for realization, market, users and business needs or organizational priorities may eventually change.
Once any changes have been identified, projects and the entire program may need to adapt to the changes.
Projects may need an additional supply of resources over time. If initiatives are assessed as successful and teams or tools need additional resources, the BVOPGM office usually plans and request more specialists joining the teams, financial resources or technologies, tools or software.
- Previous article Program stakeholders management
- Next article Choosing management and development methodologies and practices (realizations sets)